March Wrap-Up

So, hi guys. I'm aware that it's not March anymore (by a long shot), but I had a request from a friend for me to wrap up my March, so here I am. (A lot of things did happen, some of which she knew about, so it wasn't a crazy request.) (Although she might have just wanted the quotes. Which is also fair, cuz I have a LOT of quotes from March. Enjoy them. :))

It's been a crazy time what with classes and Holy Week and all, so blogging has sort of fallen by the wayside--I wasn't intending to take a multi-week hiatus, but it just kind of happened. Sorry about that! It's tough, though, because in addition to school and general business, I think a lot of the people who ordinarily comment on my blog are really busy right now, too, which I TOTALLY GET (because I am, too, and I'm not always the best about commenting while in the middle of school), but it can be really discouraging to pour a lot of time and love into a post and then have almost no one comment on it. (This is, of course, amplified if Blogger just won't let anyone comment. XD Thankfully, that seems to be resolved. For now, at least.) So. We shall see what happens. But for now, I'm back for a bit. :)

(Also, Happy Easter! He is Risen!)

(Oh, and if you're wondering what happened to my cryptic hint that I might end up moving to a different platform...that's been tabled for now because of how busy I am, but I may investigate at some point, if Blogger starts being weird again. For now, it seems like the problems are fixed, so I'll be here at least for the foreseeable future.)


Now, thinking back to March...
-I had my first Tornado Warning (sirens and all) that resulted in evacuation (in the middle of class!) to the basement. (Technically this was in February, but after my February wrap-up.) I feel like my Midwestern experience is complete. 

-After that, on the last day of March, I had my second ever Tornado Warning, in the middle of a retreat that was taking place in an old school/community center in a town so small that the fire department transports themselves in a pickup truck (population 346, if you're wondering). Everyone who was on the retreat had to take shelter in the women's locker room, and the priest who was with us had the Eucharist in his pocket...it was quite the time. And then the power went out, but that's a whole different story...

-I had possibly the craziest week of my entire life the week before Spring Break, but God saw me through...even though the week was insane, each day was fine (which taught me that maybe I shouldn't look ahead *quite* so much, lol). 

-For Spring Break, I got to go on a hiking trip to the Smokey Mountains with eleven of my friends and acquaintances, and one of our priests (Father M). It was one of the best weeks I've had in a while! We hiked a total of twenty-six miles in three days (5 miles the first and second days, and then sixteen miles the third day, which, yes, was insane), ate much Bluebell Ice Cream, had fun cramming into a small airBNB cabin, teased each other, watched way too many WWII movies, ate kippered herring, and had daily Mass in the tiny living room of the cabin. (Also, I drank whisky for the first time. For medicinal purposes.) 

-At the end of that week, I also got to visit family in Maryland for a few days, and that was really restful and delightful, AND I got to watch the Extended Editions of Two Towers and Return of the King for the first time ever! 

-I spent way too much time hanging out with friends in one of our priests' office after the 8pm Mass. Much hot chocolate and tea was drunk; a good time was had by all. 

-I got to ultrasound pregnant pigs, which was probably one of the highlights of my academic career so far. 

-I explored an international food store in Downtown Urbana (they sell Turkish Delight!) and resolved to go back there more often. 

-I gave up fiction for Lent, resulting in fewer books read, but honestly more enjoyment of the fiction books I read on Sundays...


Quotes:

Kay: "You drive like your grandmother."
Father M: "She's dead!"
Kay: "Exactly."

Father M: "You're Anton's best friend, have you not figured that out yet?"

George: "That is not theologically sound, get away from me!"

Father M: "It's high culture. You need to be high to appreciate it."

Matt: "I know it's not a competition, but...he's winning."

Me: *takes a bite of Bluebell* "Mmmmmmmmmmm"
Thomas: "Happy Samantha noises."

Father M: "Should we do the official Newman Pizza Blessing?"
Us: "Sure?"
Father M: "Bless this pizza, amen."

Thomas: "That [deer] is muscular!"
Father M: *concerned* "Ooookay?"

Father M: "You need meta-context."
Peter: "I just need to wake up!"

Random stranger: *tries to open bear-proof trash can in Smokey Mountains National Park* *fails* *starts to walk away*
His friend: "Are you really giving up?"
Stranger: "It's locked!"
His friend: "No." *opens it* "It's animal proof."
Stranger: "Oh, well...I am an animal."

My cousin, after hearing the above story: "So...there's a significant overlap between the smartest of bears, and the dumbest of people?"

My aunt: "Ethan, your mail."
My cousin: "Am I?"

George: "Samantha, have you tried not knowing something?"

Music director: "So, Easter is in two weeks."
Lew: "Spoiler alert!"

Dr. Digger: "Anyone want to cuddle up with that wolf?"
*nods throughout the classroom*
Dr. Digger: "Please don't."

Dr. Digger: "When the cat's away, the mice will play...and spread the plague."

Diet Dr. Digger: "There are many reasons why you shouldn't be eating your skincare products."

Diet Dr. Digger: "Chickens have spindly little legs, like I do."


Worth Reading...

(I read several awesome books in March besides the ones I'm going to talk about today, but I want to post about a couple of them separately (we'll see if that happens), so I'm going to not talk about them in this post.)

...if WWII and imperfect love stories are your thing

The Castle on the Hill by Elizabeth Goudge 
Someone recommended this one to me in the comments of one of my posts, but I don't remember exactly when or why! So, I can't give credit, but I abundantly appreciate it! Goudge was one of my favorite authors when I was a kid for exactly one (1) of her books (The Little White Horse), and I've gradually been delving into her adult novels as I've gotten older. This one was beautiful and poignant on many levels--it's set during WWII when someone who was displaced from the boarding house she was running becomes the housekeeper for a castle with a lot of history, and with occupants who have Problems. Besides the overall atmosphere (which Goudge EXCELS at--her descriptions are unfairly awesome), and how real the characters seemed (also a Goudge thing) my favorite parts about this book were actually two of the themes. One was how important it is for one's humanity and one's sense of purpose to have what they call a "place in the pattern"--a job, a role, someone who needs you. And the other was a theme that I have a hard time explaining (and not just because of spoilers) of love as something that can grow, not something that you necessarily have already. Or love as allowing yourself to be loved by someone, before you can love them back in the way they love you. Or something like that. It sort of hearkened back to the post I did on the Fear of Tragedy. And that's really all I can say without spoilers, but I am very curious what others thought of those parts, if they've read them. I liked them, but they were bittersweet, and made me sad, in a way. 


...if an adventure story is what's right up your alley right now

Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini
I read this book for one of my book clubs, and it was fun because it was simultaneously something that was my thing (an old book) and wasn't my thing (a swashbuckling story...for some reason, I just don't find myself drawn to that kind of book as much), so it was a good break from the ordinary. Even though I'm not a swashbuckling person in general, I really enjoyed Scaramouche, mostly for the MC, who is like me in that he doesn't show emotions, and so people assume he doesn't have them. So, seeing his adventures and mishaps with that was a bit of a window into myself, in a way. The book also balanced comedy with sadness in a way so that it wasn't just a fun swashbuckling novel, but also had depth to it, and I liked that a lot. I don't feel I've done the whimsy of it justice, but take my word for it--it's worth a read!


So...what did you do in March, if you remember? Which was your favorite of the quotes? Do you like swashbucklers? 

Comments

  1. I read Scaramouche years ago and loved it, but then I love adventure tales -- the most swashbuckling the better! The Castle on the Hill sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great time, even for those of us who aren't quite so partial to swashbuckling! And CotH is excellent!

      Delete
  2. (P.S. It feels so lovely to say Alleluia again, doesn't it?!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. TORNADO WARNINGS OH MY GOSH! My school had a high wind and tornado watch a couple weeks ago, which was INSANE. First time I've ever seen people /panic/ over wind, haha.

    Those books sound LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THEY ARE SO CRAZY! Honestly, the weird part for me is seeing people /not panic/...because I'm in Illinois, where everyone...grew up with this apparently? Whereas I'm from somewhere where tornado warnings are Not Normal, and so the people I'm around are like "nah, we don't have to go to the basement", and I'm like "A WARNING MEANS THERE IS AN ACTUAL TORNADO TIME TO GO TO THE BASEMENT PLEASE". XD

      They are wonderful!

      Delete
  4. I've tasted turkish delight, it was a rose flavored type, so tasted like soap.We may have had another flavor but that is the one I remember trying. I think there is a meme when people try it "THIS?!! Is what Edmund sold his soul for?"

    I'm in an area where tornado warnings are fairly normal, near but not in tornado alley. We had one and where we were, it wasn't even windy. I think tornado alley is moving east though so we'll be in it soon.

    I'll have to try Scaramouche. I've tried Goudge, she fits a lot of things I like, but sometimes authors technically fit and are just a nope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the rose flavored type, and I actually liked it quite a lot! To each their own. I've seen that meme, but my reaction was more like "okay, I kind of get why Edmund would have sold his soul for this" XD

      Yeah, I've heard that tornado alley is moving...time for me to get out of the midweset, lol.

      It's a fun one! I'm sorry you don't like Goudge, but I do get having authors that are 'supposed to' tick all the boxes, but just don't.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, I love the quotes so much--especially the one about the bear box. Those things are impossible. Also ALL the Dr. Digger and Diet Dr. Digger ones. Wish my professors were that fun.

    Ultrasounding pregnant pigs sounds like an adventure. Was that a lab of some kind? Also, do you get to see the piglets when they arrive/do you have animal birth stuff happening this spring?

    (Also as soon as I saw "Castle on the Hill" my brain immediately started playing the Ed Sheeran song, which is now going to be stuck in my head forever XD) (I'm sure it's an excellent book and the comparison is probably not justified) (But I still think it's funny)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! (I am but a humble scribe, but when I'm paying attention, I am amazed at how many funny things happen around me.) The Drs. Digger are indeed a LOT of fun--hopefully you end up with fun professors sometime in your college career! :)

      It was an adventure! And yes, it was a lab. We were supposed to get to see arriving piglets in lab, but we were the first lab group, so while one of the sows was in labor when we left, there were no piglets. :( But I might get to see a foal at some point soon, so we shall see.

      (I'm not actually familiar with the Ed Sheeran song, I don't think? I'm not sorry about that, though. XD)

      Delete
  6. Ah, yes, the classic tornado warnings. Congratulations, you have now experienced a staple Midwest event! XD (We had one at my non-Midwest school last year, and everyone was panicking while I was like "???? guys, it'll be fine???" XD)

    And ooo, I NEED to read Scaramouche! You're now the second person I've had recommend it. :D

    I'm glad you're back, Sam, and I hope the rest of your April is amazing! (And Happy Easter! <3)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes! As one of my friends likes to say, "Welcome to Illinois!" (Yeah, I was kind of the panicky one at this juncture? But the second tornado warning, I was much more chill about. Although arguably it was much scarier.)

      It's SO MUCH FUN and actually remarkably deep in some ways, and yes, you should definitely read it!

      Aww, thanks, Nicole! And Happy Easter to you, too!

      Delete
  7. *pumps hand solemnly* Welcome to the Midwest.
    Also, y'know, I gave up fiction for Lent last year, and I had the same experience of it being weirdly nice...interesting.

    The quotes are literally the best thing, also, I hope you know this. I think "high culture" and manbear vs trashcan were my absolute favorites.

    I reeeeeally need to read Elizabeth Goudge...
    Also very happy you enjoyed Scaramouche. I also was surprised by the, like, depth of it. (The first time.) And funny, I never actually thought of it as a swashbuckler because it all takes place on land and apparently in my brain there have to be ships. Idk. It is definitely a swashbuckler. You not tending to like swashbucklers makes a lot of sense of me, for some reason that I cannot articulate.

    I'm very happy you're back. :) I actually thought your hiatus was going to be longer (like maybe till school was out), so I'm happy it wasn't.
    I had a very busy March. I'm still busy (ANIMALS BEING BORN LEFT AND RIGHT), but there are different types of busy, I've decided. I like this kind significantly more, because it's "I have a lot to do, and I like doing it" busy, not "I have a lot to figure out, and meanwhile my life is in limbo" busy, which I hate, and which is usually the kind of busy that leads to me not blogging or commenting. The internet is an amplifier. If your life is great, it makes it better. If it's bad, it makes it worse (so I try to avoid it at those times). That's my theory, anyhow. *shrug* I'm not sure what the point of that tangent was...just, I'm glad you're back to blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! :)
      Huh! That is interesting. Perhaps it's something I should do more often...or recommend to people. Although I will say my total number of books read went down drastically during Lent...

      I'm glad! Those two were some of my favorites, too. I am perpetually amazed at how many ridiculous things are said in my hearing...

      You DO! I would be absolutely fascinated to hear what you think of some of her works.
      Me, too! Thanks for the recommendation. Okay, see, the weird thing is, I like ships (and swashbuckling type things, to a certain extent) in movies, I just don't like them in books. Like, I love Master & Commander (the movie) and Pirates of the Caribbean, but I don't like that sort of thing in books. It's quite strange.

      Aww, thank you, my friend! I also thought my hiatus was going to be longer, and then Chloe was like "WRAP UP YOUR MARCH" so I decided to come back. Also, my life is way less crazy, which is helpful.
      You're so right about there being different kinds of busy! School is usually the kind of busy that I like, mostly because it is that first (better) kind of busy that you just listed. (This is also why I don't have a summer job this summer. Because I didn't feel like trying to deal with the kind of busy that you hate, which I also hate. XD) This is true! The internet is an amplifier. I've never thought of it like that, but you're so right...

      Delete
    2. Okay, maybe that makes sense, though??? Because you're a critical book reader, but more of a "turn brain off and enjoy" movie watcher, correct? And swashbucklery, piratey types of stories tend to be turn-brain-off-and-enjoy-for-best-results, a lot, like they are neither Dostoyevsky-serious nor Wodehouse-silly; they're not clever or deep, they're just...fun. But also dramatic. So maybe that doesn't appeal to you so much when you're reading, because of why you like reading, but it does appeal to you when watching movies, because of why you like watching movies???? Does that make sense??? It made sense to me though I'm not sure if it's right because I'm not you???

      Delete
    3. Actually, that does make a lot of sense! Because they are just fun, and that's why I watch movies (primarily, although there are times where I can think deeply about movies, it's not what I tend to do most often). Although swashbucklers also involve ships a lot of the time, and for some reason ships thrill me, so that's part of it, too.

      Delete
  8. Ahhh school tornado warnings. I remember those (went to school in Indiana... usually tried to get out of the dorm if we thought a warning was coming, because sitting in the hallway for 3 hours on the 3rd floor with no power was not our idea of fun). Ahem. Generally went to the gas station and played cards. hehe

    So many fun quotes.

    My March... was spent organizing and promoting my kickstarter, which has bled into my April now needing to send out the first round of rewards. I also decided that sleep is clearly for the birds because I signed up for the "Book Launch Blueprint" class and that kicked off this past Monday, so I'm not sure exactly when I'm going to get much of anything else done for the next 4 weeks... hence my own social media/blogging hiatus starting this week.

    Okay, but what did you think of the Extended Editions of Two Towers and Return of the King?!?!? You can't just toss that out there and then walk away without telling us what you thought!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that makes sense! And also sounds like a lot of fun. So far, our tornado warnings have only lasted fifteen minutes to half an hour, but I can imagine if a three-hour one was coming, I would absent myself. XD

      Oh my goodness yes, that must have been a lot of work! (So glad your Kickstarter was successful, by the way! Congrats!) Good luck with your hiatus & getting everything done...I totally can relate to the "sleep? sleep when?" feeling...

      I loved them!!! It's been a while since I watched the Theatrical versions, so I can't compare super well, BUT there were definitely a lot of beautiful scenes in the Extended Editions that I know weren't in the Theatrical, and I LOVED those. (I will say, though, that I can kind of understand the criticism that they drag in places? There were a few parts that felt a bit...torpid. But I still think they're worth it. :))

      Delete
  9. I have once again emerged in your comment section, trailing mothballs and receipt paper, to tell you that I am so glad you're back, for a bit at least. This is a fantastic post. The quote section made me ridiculously happy. Dr. Digger sounds like a total icon. And I really enjoyed hearing all the details of your doings. I don't know if I've said this before, but I tend to think of you and your pals as like...the modern equivalent of Pier Giorgio and his pals...but make it dark academia? Which is just like the coolest aesthetic. I'm not sure if it's accurate, but it's certainly the vibe I get from all your posts that talk about your school and whatnot. Pretty darn awesome. I hope it's all even lovelier than it sounds. :)
    And I'm not sure I'd heard of either of those books! Scaramouche is vaguely familiar, perhaps--the title I mean. But I had no idea it was a swashbuckling book. This, methinks, sounds like something I need to peruse. And your description of Elizabeth Goudge is also quite beguiling. Where would you recommend starting with her stuff?
    Thank you again for the lovely post Sam. God bless you! -- your friendly neighborhood lurker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! I'm glad to be back, too, and it's really good to see you in the comments section!
      Haha, I'm glad! Dr. Digger is HILARIOUS, and the fact that both she and her husband teach here (so they can reference each other, and other hijinks can ensure) is one of my favorite things about the Animal Science department.
      Oh my goodness, that makes me SO HAPPY! I don't know if we live up to Pier Giorgio and his hallowed friends, but come to think of it, that's actually a pretty good summation of how my friend group operates. (Albeit we're a lot less organized and more of a looser coalition than Pier Giorgio & co.)
      You should definitely peruse Scaramouche--I think you'd like it! And Elizabeth Goudge, too! I think the best starting place for her is The Little White Horse (which has some fantasy-esque elements to it, although it is set in the real world), but also the Eliots of Damerosehay series is phenomenal. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those!
      You're so welcome, Grim! Thank you for your lovely comment--it made my day! God bless you, too!

      Delete
  10. Hey Sam!! It has been way too long since my last comment (and since my last blog post for that matter...), although I still read all of your posts. I think my favorite of your posts are your monthly wrap-ups. Aww, those quotes always make me miss my college times but I have an equal amount of fun working with all my daycare kiddos. Little kids have such great quotes, maybe I should start keeping track of them, ha ha!

    It sounds like you had a wonderful month. My March was spent juggling my three daycare jobs, planning for the "Summer with the Saints" program at the Catholic School Daycare, and my favorite visiting my first convent- I may have to do a post on it as it was an extremely profound experience!

    Last year, I also gave up fiction for Lent and it was amazing! I got so many spiritual reads in and I've only read maybe two fiction books since. Definitely a huge step in my spiritual life! Any particularly good ones you read during Lent?

    Wishing you a very blessed and joyful Easter Season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Miss K! Good to "see" you, and glad you're doing well! I'm so glad you like my wrap-ups--I'll be sure to keep doing them. :) You should totally keep track of your daycare kids' quotes! Little kids have the BEST quotes.

      I did have a wonderful month, although it was super duper busy! "Summer With The Saints" planning sounds really fun! And I would love to see a post on your experience visiting a convent!

      I'm glad that a fiction fast for Lent was so fruitful in your spiritual life! The best book I read during Lent was rereading Story of a Soul--St. Therese is awesome!

      I hope that you have a joyful Easter Season, as well!

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you're back. I totally feel you about being disappointed when you put in a whole lot of effort to write a post and NO ONE comments on it. (Which is why I appreciate how you put in the effort to comment on a lot of mine! Thank you! :) <3)

    Many of your quotes made me snort a little, haha. I have a bullet journal with a page that is "one line a day" and I write whatever stuck out to me the most that day, but I swear at least 85% of them are just funny one-liners like your quotes. Maybe I should just make a quotes page in my bullet journal. XD

    I can't remember a lot of March, but I definitely did a few musical auditions and saw several theatre shows and that was immensely interesting. Oh, and I got cast in another musical! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Gabby! It's hard, because one does know that balancing writing one's blog with commenting is hard for everyone, but the discouragement is real! (You're most welcome! <3)

      Haha, I'm glad! They definitely amused me quite a bit at the time. I would recommend a quotes page for sure! (Although I keep most of my quotes in the notes app in my phone...maybe I should start putting them in my bullet journal!)

      Ooh, congratulations on getting cast in another musical!! I can't wait to hear about it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!