Good, Better, Best: New Reads of 2020

This picture is very, very accurate to my year. XD

Happy New Year! Hoping this one will be a bit better than the last one... So, in any case, what better day is there to sort the books I read for the first time last year into Good, Better, and Best? 
This won't be all the books I read for the first time this year, since that would be...a lot. I think the "Best" section has all the best new reads of 2020, but there wasn't a huge amount of rhyme or reason to what books I left out of the "Good" and "Better" for length. Just fyi. Ironically, 
even with those cuts, there are probably 18 or 20 books in each section. So, I give you permission to skim. You may need it. 

Good

Of Literature & Lattes by Katherine Reay
Katherine Reay is one of my favorite-authors-who-is-still-alive (sharing this title with Megan Whalen Turner and Nadine Brandes, and...I think that's it at the moment) and I enjoyed this new book by her! It was not as good, in my opinion, as some of her earlier works, but I did especially enjoy the way it hearkened back to The Printed Letter Bookshop 'world', and the sweet slowness of the plot.

The Incorruptibles by Joan Carroll Cruz
There. Are. So. Many. Incorrupt. Saints. And. They. Are. So. Cool. I mean, don't even get me started on St. Clare of Montefalco. (Look her up! She's crazy. In the best, holiest, coolest way, of course). This book catalogues most, if not all, of the incorrupt saints in the Church's history, with stories about their lives, as well as details about their incorruption and the investigations therein. Joan Carroll Cruz also has an excellent book on Eucharistic miracles that I would definitely recommend. :) 

The Scarlet and the Black by J. P. Gallagher 
This one is about a priest who was called "the Scarlet Pimpernel of the Vatican", an Irish priest who helped to shelter POWs who were escaping Italy in the Vatican. It wasn't quite as spy-novel-in-the-Vatican as I expected going in, but there were still many, many cool incidents related, and Monsignor O'Flaherty is so cool! What a great hothead priest.

An Echo of the Fae by Jenelle Leanne Schmidt
What a wonderful MG adventure! I loved the synthesis of subtle Christian values with faerie-type mythology, especially. This was a gentle story, which winds through a beautiful world while a girl tries to find who her family is--and then who her true family is. And as a bonus, it's by the blogosphere's own Jenelle, who is such a lovely sweet author. :) Review from early in my blogging career (so read with caution) HERE

Float by Laura Martin
I really enjoyed Laura Martin's Edge of Extinction duology, so when I realized she had other MG novels, I was excited to jump in! The worldbuilding of this book is so clever--it revolves around the idea that some few kids are born with special weird powers, from randomly disappearing to randomly time traveling to floating (as the name implies). And all these kids attend one summer camp, together. Of course, major hijinks ensue, but so do major friendships, which I (of course) love. There are a couple of slightly off-color bits, but overall it's a hilarious homage to summer camp and friendships, only with a slightly paranormal feel. 

An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson
It's been long enough since I read this that I don't remember huge amounts of detail about the plot, but the MC is an artist who paints portraits of the fae, because they can't create. She ends up somehow on an adventure with a male fae and they're...on the run? And they banter a lot, which is fantastic and fun. And I liked the plot. And the cover is cool. It was good, guys, I promise.

Ships, Secrets, and Survivors by Sarah Rodecker and Helena George
I was beyond excited when I heard that Sarah and Helena were publishing a book, and when I learned that it was about SHIPS...that was the clincher. I got to read an ARC of this book, and I enjoyed it very much! It was a bit hard to get into, but...I mean, there's a talking ship! And a runaway assassin! And a princess! What is not to love? I'm very much looking forward to the sequel! Review HERE

Hoax For Hire by Laura Martin
Another fantastic Laura Martin! The premise of this one is...what if there was one family who was responsible for all the cryptid hoaxes? And it just gets better from there. Imagine: warehouses of different creature costumes of different ages, from the oldest Bigfoot costume that you can imagine, to an animatronic water dinosaur. And then...stuff starts happening. It's hilarious, and very, very enjoyable. 

Fang Girl by Helen Keeble
Okay, I am not a fan of vampire books, ordinarily. But. BUT. This book pokes fun at all the vampire book tropes that I have ever heard of, and it. is. hilarious. Guys, a satire vampire romance novel. Seriously. It. Was. The. Funniest.

A Company of Swans by Eva Ibbotson
Okay, I love Eva Ibbotson. But there was a bit much content in this for me, which is why it's in "Good" rather than "Better". (Also, the mention of those disgusting fish gave me OCD for... awhile. It's fine. Everything is fine.) HOWEVER. This was such a fun romance! The MC's home setting in London is perfect for the book (and very Dickensian), and then the South American setting is also very well done, and besides the wonderful settings, and lovely romance, there are many, many hilarious bits. *still cannot think about the ballet troupe pretending to be nuns, basically, without laughing*

Majesty by Katharine McGee
I was not expecting this to be as good as it was. But it was as good as it was. The characters felt real, their decisions felt real, the relationships felt real. And the plot was realistic and not weird, and overall, such a great sequel to American Royals

Coral by Sara Ella
Wow. Just wow. I read this after watching the first Brandes-Ella webinar (which I very much enjoyed) and was not expecting the depth that this book possesses. The disclaimer at the beginning of the book, which says that one should not read the book if one is struggling with mental illness/depression is very true, so let that be a warning. But for those of us who want to understand...this book. This book. I had to stay up late to finish it (which does not happen very often), and it kept me on the edge of my seat (or, um, bed. As the case may be). I was not expecting the twists at the end (which, I mean, since I read them an hour after my usual bedtime, I should probably reread at some point so I can grasp the timeline more fully) but WOW. Masterful. It was a bit depressing, even for someone who doesn't struggle with mental illness, but I was definitely glad I read it. 

The Odyssey by Homer
Yeah. So, this happened. I read The Odyssey. And I actually liked it? Yeah. That was weird. But really--it's a seminal story for our culture, so a lot of things make more sense after reading it. XD And also, it's a good story! There are relatable themes! Telemachus is awesome! So, yeah. :)

The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
This was...much better than I expected. I mean, the idea of not knowing which man is the prince and which is the assassin for the whole book seemed like it could either be cool or weird-in-a-love-triangle-way. Well, it was cool. (And, for the record, I guessed who was who. Correctly). The POVs work perfectly to keep the reader in the dark, BUT the confusion doesn't persist for the whole book, and the balance in the plot is just *chef's kiss*. Very enjoyable, and I went right away and read the rest of the series. (Some of the legendarium/religion was a bit strange, I will say. But it's cool.)

The Dragon's Tooth by N. D. Wilson
I read this because one of the MCs was named Antigone, and for that reason only. (I am shallow. I know this.) And it was a little confusing at the beginning. And in the middle. Also, at the end. Pretty sure more will be explained in the next couple books. But ANYHOW, I loved the Treasure Island retelling vibes (it reminded me of Treasure Planet), and the secret society headquarters--I. Love. That. So much. 

Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston
This was a recommendation from one of my aunts, which I was not expecting to enjoy quite as much as I did (sorry aunt! I'm just a skeptical person). I had not read any Irish-Fae-Changeling-Seelie-Unseelie-type fairy tale stories in aaaaaages, and for some reason I love that genre (possibly because I'm 1/4 Irish? Nah, couldn't be that. (It is Irish, right? I'm having a moment of doubt)), so it was lovely to get back to it. This book is that kind of story, but set in NYC, so there are tiny apartments, and plot-important horses in bathtubs, and strange theatre companies, but also changelings, and magic, and monsters... I did guess the twist somewhere in the middle, but that didn't materially reduce my enjoyment. 

The Eagle by Rosemary Sutcliff
It's a book set in Roman Britain, with disability representation? Whaaaaaaat? Yes, and it was excellent. I read it for History, but also because Megan Whalen Turner recommended it, and it was worth it. Definitely. The friendship, the adventure, the Thief vibes, the setting (I love everything Roman Empire), and the plot. Very, very enjoyable. 

Above Suspicion by Helen MacInnes
Thank you Sarah Seele for this recommendation! It was so interesting to read a book about the time right before WWII written during WWII...the concurrent political views really showed in a way that I had never seen before, or even thought about. I can't pretend that I followed all the spy twistiness, but I can say that I enjoyed every second (or at least most seconds). 

Martin Hospitality by Abigayle Claire
I really enjoyed this one! I like reading indie books on occasion, especially since that supports book bloggers like myself, and this one was a lot of fun! I loved the big family vibes, along with the well-handled heavy themes, especially. Full review of this one HERE

Better

Sweep by Jonathan Auxier
What to say about Sweep...well, I already said most of it in my review post, but I loved this sweet MG historical fiction-y book, full of sweetness, and feels, and social reform (yes, these things are compatible), and friendship, and agape, and, and, and. Gorgeous. Review (also from early in blogging, so again, read with caution) HERE

100 Days of Sunlight by Abbie Emmons 
I'm not sure why I didn't read this book a long time ago? But when I did, I really enjoyed it, although I still think that the characters are a little young to be making that kind of life decisions. :) But the sweetness! And the food! And the disability rep! Love. 

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy 
I actually read this at my mom's recommendation, and I. loved. it. Dashing heroes, brilliant disguises, great escapes, true love...and that fantastic snuffbox scene! (It almost sounds like The Princess Bride, when I put it like that). I was not expecting to be as sucked into this as I was, but this book...it grabs you.

A Grief Observed by C. S. Lewis
I found a copy of this at a bookstore and decided to pick it up, because Lewis. And wow, I loved it. Lewis is so obviously in pain while he's writing this book, but then he's still the same logical theologian, still leaning on God even though it's hard--through his logic, since he can't feel God with him at the moment. It's a beautiful thing, but not something to read if you're in a sad mood!

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.
This was...possibly not something I would have read of my own volition? But our friend Fr. J recommended it as the only sci-fi he had ever read and liked (which, I mean, I need to try to change) but my dad also seconded the recommendation, so I read it. And wow. It's about what would happen to the Catholic Church (which has the promise "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it") if a nuclear disaster happened. So there are these monks, who are living in the desert and preserving the knowledge that is left in the world (which gets...scrambled up). The book takes the long view (read: several centuries) and humanity starts to repeat its mistakes (and things get weird. But good). And the way the Church still exists...is cool. And the decisions it makes, still standing for the truth...is awesome. And they still pray in Latin! There are some weird/creepy bits (it's sci-fi, y'all) but I would definitely recommend this one.

The Song of Roland
Thanks so much to Megan Chappie for recommending this one! It is fantabulous epic poem about wonderful friends, and valor, and wars, and loyalty, and the triumph of the good! And it's not that long! You should read it! I would recommend the audiobook, too. 

Your Blue Flame by Jennifer Fulwiler
I love Jennifer Fulwiler's work (she's hilarious--I would highly recommend her two memoirs!) and this book was a fantastic guide to finding your "blue flame",  (the God-given gift that makes you come alive), and pursuing it. And along with the good guide stuff...there were more funny anecdotes! #win

Love from A to Z by S. K. Ali
This book was so beautiful and sweet! I enjoyed learning about Muslim culture, and getting to 'explore' Qatar with the characters. I thought it was unusually deep for a love story, and I really appreciated that the main characters had mores around their relationship that they followed. And all the little details were so beautiful! And I loved the storytelling technique! 

Moon over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool 
This was such a slow, sweet story about a girl and a boy in parallel times, learning about life, and what it means to be human. Saying it that way makes it sound boring--it really, really wasn't! It was interesting, and sweet, and funny, and suspenseful. Thanks to Megan Chappie for the recommendation! 

Hope in the Mail by Wendelin Van Draanen
This book (about writing, for writers) was just the right balance between memoir of her writing journey, and advice for writers. I loved getting a bit of a "behind the scenes" of the Wendelin Van Draanen books I enjoy. Most of her tips were really helpful, and while there were a few I didn't agree with, she makes sure to say that they're just how she does things, and won't work for everyone. Very enjoyable.

Spindle by W. R. Gingell
This was SUCH a fun magical romp, in the vein of Diana Wynne Jones and Kelly Barnhill. I found it to be a nice "big kid" version of several of those type of books I really enjoyed when I was younger (and still enjoy, tbh). Of course, it wasn't as good as Diana Wynne Jones's work, BUT it was still very much enjoyable, and fun, and worth reading! At some point, I should probably read the other ones in the series, too. :)

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen
Wow. The writing style of this was stunning. It flips between two POVs, and the thing is, both of those people see what is happening differently. Even to deleting some dialogue, having this happen in slightly different order, and so on. And it's really, really true to life! And the theeemmmeeeessss! How hard it is to grow up and realize that adults are not perfect is not a theme that gets addressed very often, and I loved seeing it here. Full review HERE

The Secret Life of Lincoln Jones by Wendelin Van Draanen
Wendelin Van Draanen, man. Wow. Death/growing old/being young/friendship ALL IN ONE BOOK. Plus cats, city buses, and a single mom Doing Her Best. I love how charitably WVD looks at the people in the senior home, but simultaneously how she looks at them as Lincoln does, as a young boy would, and how his perspective slowly changes to match that of the author...golden. 

The Running Dream
 by Wendelin Van Draanen

You may be sensing a theme here...but seriously, I love WVD's books! In this one, the way she portrays the grief that the main character feels for the loss of her leg, and the way she s l o w l y recovers is *chef's kiss*. I really enjoy reading books about MCs with disabilities, and this one did not disappoint. My one quibble would be it seemed like it wrapped up too easily...but other than that, it was amazing. And seriously--how does WVD manage to write training montages? I thought that was just a movie thing! 

Frogkisser! by Garth Nix
This book is like a mix between Lloyd Alexander, Diana Wynne Jones, and E. D. Baker. And it is So! Much! Fun! When the princess's vapid older sister's prince turns into a frog, the princess has to go on a quest to find all the ingredients for a magical lip balm that can turn the frog back into a human. But the thing is, they keep accumulating frogs. And it just gets better from there--tropes are turned on their heads, there are clever references to famous fantasy novels, and the whole thing is just a delightful romp through a fantastic fairytale world. Review is HERE

The Aeneid by Virgil
I would not blame you if you were surprised that this was on this list at all. "Sam," you may say, "you were forced to read this. Did you actually...like it?" Well, yes. Yes, I did. More than either Iliad or Odyssey, in fact. Because AENEAS. And LATIUM. And fantastic journeys. And EPIC POETRY. All the yes. 

Symphony for the City of the Dead by M. T. Anderson
Merry recommended this to me at least a year ago, and I was slightly dragging my feet on reading it, because really? Did I really want to read a book about the siege of Leningrad? Judging by the speed with which I devoured it (four hours), the answer is yes. The book is a dual "biography" of both Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad, which also weaves in threads of the political situation in Russia during WWII. As you may be able to infer, it is very, very well-written--I have never read a book which was able to describe music so well as this one (very important, since...it's about a composer). There are sad and grotesque parts, but there are also beautiful and uplifting parts, and the whole thing is the story of a composer's love for his country. Lovely, albeit sad.

Inferno & Purgatorio by Dante Alighieri (translated by Dorothy Sayers)
It's not that I go into classic literature expecting it to be boring...it's just that I go into classic literature expecting it to be boring. XD Yeah, it can be a bit problematic. These were definitely not boring--I mean, it's a matter of eternal happiness or eternal misery, so how could it be boring? Seriously, though, Alighieri does a wonderful job of making the story itself entertaining, while also showing an excellent grasp of the theology of the day in his descriptions of Hell and Purgatory. (Also, Virgil is in it. Virgil is the best. And Dante the character is a wimp, which amuses me). I haven't gotten around to reading the Paradiso yet, mostly because our library doesn't...have the Dorothy Sayers Paradiso? For shame.

Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin
Megan Whalen Turner recommended this one to me (yes, really) and so of course I HAD to read it. And I really enjoyed it! The Aeneid is probably my favorite epic poem, so getting to go back to that world was fantastic. Read my full review HERE

The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens
I was not expecting to like this book, really. (This is a recurring issue with classics. See: Inferno & Paradiso). I mean, I had to read it for literature class. Literature class, people. Why would I like it? But I did. All the escapades, and the ridiculousness, and the stubbornness, and the characters! You may say what you like about Dickens, but his characters are hilarious. And SAM WELLER. I love Sam Weller. 

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
Also was not expecting to like this one. Also did. (Not as much as Pickwick, though.) Yes, it was long. Very, very long. And it didn't really have a plot. But the characters have stuck with me, and honestly, I miss hanging out with DQ and SP. Kind of a lot. It's a bit ridiculous. 

Best

This isn't the edition I read, but it's the only picture I could find. 
The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien edited by Humphrey Carpenter
WHAT IS NOT TO LOVE ABOUT BRILLIANT LETTERS FROM THE BEST FANTASY NOVELIST OF EVER. *ahem* Yes, but I loved this book so much! Frodo was kind enough to lend it to me (Me: "I'm bored." Her: "Here's a book by your favorite author that you've never read, plus three other books you'll probably enjoy." Best. Sponsor. Ever), and I...devoured it. Because he's so smart! And there's a whole letter about Hobbit gift-giving customs! And then another one on authentic Catholic manhood that has made me think a lot about what I want in a future husband (if that's my vocation)! And one on the Eucharist that is sublimely beautiful! My only quibble is that (*cough*stupid*coughcough*) Humphrey Carpenter cut out a bunch of parts that I would have liked to read (Humphrey Carpenter is Not My Favorite). We have three enormous books of Lewis's letters, people. Three. I NEED MORE TOLKIEN LETTERS, GUYS. 

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
This might be my third favorite of all Jane Austen's books. That's right--it beat out Sense & Sensibility and Persuasion. I'm sorry. It just does. Because it's funny! And intriguing! And Jane Austen has such a lovely satire style about her, I love it. And Catherine is such a "heroine", and it's fantastic. So, yeah. It was great.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Why? Did no one? Tell me? How awesome? This book is? (Okay, don't answer that. They did--I just ignored them. Because it's a classic, and therefore "boring". #logic). But seriously: this book is amazing! It looks at racism from the perspective of a child, who intuitively knows it's wrong, which cuts deep. There's really two stories; the story of Boo Radley, and the story of Atticus and his defense in the case. And wow. They're both great and deep, and interwoven, and I just cannot say how amazing this book is. 

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
I can't remember how I came across this book, but MY WORD it became an instant favorite. Because: WWII. And friendships. And unreliable narrators. And reliable narrators. And did I mention the friendships? It was the fourth book in my life to ever make me cry. And if that doesn't tell you something, I don't know what does. Full and swoony review HERE

The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien
Seriously, I read so many books I had been procrastinating reading this year! And I <3 the Silmarillion. So much. Even though some parts of it were more interesting than others. But I am so here for the creation story, and Turin Turambar, and Beren and Luthien, and, and, and. These stories are not for everyone, but they are for me. 

Orthodoxy by G. K. Chesterton
This one is not for everyone, but is for me! I read this at the recommendation of our pastor Fr. DD, and Megan Chappie. And I loved it. Chesterton is so wise, and I love all his mystery and analogies, and my WORD do I love Christianity. We're so cool. #andhumble

Antigone by Sophocles
I was not expecting to like this, to be honest. But then I did. Because--it's short but punchy, and it plays on your expectations, and Antigone is awesome, and there's a ton of food for thought. Also, it's one of the oldest plays we have...and if that's not cool, you need to find a new definition of "cool".

The pertinent bits of  The Lays of Beleriand by J. R. R. Tolkien
BECAUSE TOLKIEN WROTE POETRY. AND HE WROTE IT IN TRADITIONAL ENGLISH AND ITALIAN FORMS. And by "the pertinent bits", I mean...I skipped the commentary. Because why would I read commentary when I could read about Turin Turambar and Beren and Luthien? But it's really sad, because they're all unfinished, even the Beren and Luthien ones. And it ends on a cliffhanger! *cries* (I mean, I know what happens, because he wrote a prose version, but I want a finished poeeeeemmmmmmm). I don't always get grabbed into poetry, but the Beren and Luthien one totally grabbed me. It was gorgeous. Go read it. 

A War of Gifts by Orson Scott Card
Really there's a short story on my "best" list? Yes. Absolutely. Because Orson Scott Card is amazing. And he understands people. And it's incredible. And sensitive. And we get to see Ender. What are you waiting for?

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
I was...not expecting this to be on my "best" list. But it is. Ray Bradbury is an incredible writer, and somehow he makes a strung-apart series of...short stories, really...into a book that embodies the feeling of *other* that would really come with trying to live on another planet. The sheer mental experiment feel of it makes it interesting and riveting. Again, it's not for everyone...but it is for me. 

The Return of the Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
The release date of this book got pushed back three times, and I was worried it would neeeevver come out. But it did! And it was everything I had hoped it would be, and almost nothing that I was scared it would be. It was amazing. It was the puzzle piece, that made parts of the whole series finally make sense (although I'm sure I new puzzle pieces will fall into place when I reread). I loved the MC, and I loved the POV, and I just loved this book. Amazing. Full and very, very swoony review HERE

Wild Bird by Wendelin Van Draanen
I loved all the Wendelin Van Draanen books I read this year, BUT. But. This one got a special place in my heart. Maybe because it made me a little bit uncomfortable? Books about addictions scare me. But I think it was the wilderness survival. I love wilderness survival, a love born of several wilderness survival classes when I was younger, so I really, really loved and related to that part of the plot. And the MC's transformation was just...*chef's kiss*

The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb
*screaming* *intensifies* THESE BOOKS GUYS! This trilogy is fantasy as it should be written, and I have no qualms in saying that. It's taking its place in my list of fantasy loves right below LOTR. Not joking. Because, the plot, it is complex and twisty, and unpredictable. Hobb is not afraid to hurt her characters, which makes for awesome plot, and beautiful character arcs. Because, the writing! Somehow, in a third person limited POV, she manages to show you multiple sides of every person. And wow, is it amazing. And they are long! Which makes it all the better! Because, the themes! The themes are beautiful! Because, the characters! Each one is unique and non-tropey, and Fitz is a loveable idiot most of the time, and Burrich is the BEST mentor, and VERITY IS SO AWESOME, and I could keep going. And also, tHeRe arE cOnSeqUenCes For tHeiR acTiOns? Which doesn't happen all that often in popular fantasy? Also, because, the worldbuilding! The world. feels. real. and there's sort of magic and sort of not, and it's PERFECT. Suffice it to say: I loved this trilogy. [I will note that there is some *ahem* content, but it's handled pretty subtly most of the time] My review of the first book is HERE

My Sister St. Therese by Sister Genevieve of the Holy Face
I actually got this book for Confirmation last year, and just got around to reading it this year (look, I got a TON of spiritual reading books for Confirmation). It's about one of my Confirmation saints, St. Therese of Lisieux, but it's by her sister, Celine Martin, also known as Sr. Genevieve. Because it's a sister's view, it's much more objective than Therese's autobiography, and I got a HUGE amount of insight into the saint's personality and spirituality, which was lovely! After reading this book, I am very much convinced that I chose the right patron. :)

St. Thomas Aquinas by G. K. Chesterton
How on earth did Chesterton capture my favorite theologian so perfectly? The book is a bit less about his life--although I still learned things (*sarcastically* whaaaaaat?)--and more about what was inside, how his love of God informed his theology, how his theology informed his time...it was brilliant, y'all. Just brilliant. 

The Ball and the Cross by G. K. Chesterton
Thanks so much to Megan Chappie for telling me that I had to read this one! (How many times can I say that in one post? Megan, you have had a lot of influence on my reading year.) I did, in fact, have to read it. It was fantastic! (Chesterton is always fantastic, but I somehow forget this each time I'm thinking about starting a new Chesterton book. Same thing with Lewis.) Why do people no longer challenge each other to duels over their opinions? I love that it's these two people who actually care about what they believe who wake the world up, even though they have opposite viewpoints, too. We need that. 


How many of these have you read? What were your favorite reads of the year? Do you have any new year plans?

Comments

  1. Ahhhh, so many books! I love it. I am putting all of these on my to-read list, but I do want to talk about a couple. ;)

    How have I never heard of The Incorruptibles by Joan Carroll Cruz?? It sounds phenomenal.
    Your Blue Flame by Jennifer Fulwiler also sounds brilliant. I mean, all these books do, but I think I'd like that one.

    I've read 7 of these, and 3 were in this year, too! I'm very glad to see To Kill a Mockingbird in Best. One of my favorites. <3 I have the opposite thinking of classics than you, I expect them to be of the highest quality, and when they aren't I'm devastated. Your method might be better in that regard...whoops. Dickens doesn't usually disappoint, though. I'm going to try to read more of his this year. I'm awfully pleased with how many Wendelin Van Draanen books there are. I finished my year out with her and I forgot how much I love her style! Another reading goal for 2021.

    Here's to more great books! Happy New Year, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're putting all of them on your TBR? Wow, you're going to have an interesting 2021. XD

      I just learned about it this year--and it was amazing! Would highly recommend.
      That one was also awesome! Honestly, anything by Jennifer Fulwiler is.

      Yay! Reading twins-ish. :) Is there anywhere else I could have put To Kill a Mockingbird? <3
      Hmm...maybe it's an optimist/pessimist thing? Only, I'm not like that with all books, only classics.
      Dickens definitely doesn't disappoint! Despite all the bad rap he gets for length, I've enjoyed all the Dickens I've read.
      I'm pleased with all the WVD, too! I should have made a note that you recommended those too me...oops, sorry! But thank you!

      Thank you! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I'm glad to see the Odyssey and to Kill a Mockingbird on the list. Personally, classics are one of my favorite genres! As for my reading, I only read 23 books total but they were some great reads. Most of it was in the summer since my World History college class required five novels in a short period of time, leaving me no time for my own reading. I'm hoping to reread some of my favorite childhood novels for 2021 since I'll be turning 18. I'm not a rereader too often.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss! Those two were excellent! I love classics, although I never think I'm going to like them when I start them. XD
      23 books is nothing to sneeze at! What books did you read for World History?
      I hope you have fun with your rereads! (I'm turning 18 in 2021, too--and rereading old favorites is a great idea! I may have to steal that.)

      Thank you! Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
    2. I read Guns, Germs, and Steel and Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World for World History. They were interesting, but not ones I'd read out of choice. My favorite history books are historical fiction. You are welcome to use my idea to reread old favorites. :)

      Delete
    3. Those do sound interesting, but I agree--I like historical fiction best for history. :)

      Delete
  3. I actually have barely read....any of these. I'll have to add them to my list----especially Northanger Abbey. My mom says it's my type of book. Also, what is your ranking of Jane Austin books, if I may ask? I've been trying to read more classics, and most of my family says I'd like her books, so what would you recommend?
    I've read The Farseer Trilogy, Ships, Secrets and Survivors, An Echo of the Fae, and Float. I may have read To Kill a Mockingbird, but maybe I've just heard so much about that I think I've read it?
    It looks like you read a lot of good books! Hope your 2021 reading year goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, my reading choices are a little eclectic. XD I do think you'd like Northanger Abbey, though!

      My ranking is:
      Pride & Prejudice
      Emma
      Northanger Abbey
      Persuasion
      Sense and Sensibility

      I started with Emma, but could see starting with P&P as well. Would highly recommend an audiobook, at least for your first JA read. :)

      Ooh, you read the Farseer trilogy? DID YOU LOVE IT?
      I really did! Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Okay, thanks for the tips. Those were really helpful.
      And, YES. I LOVED IT, AND JUST, AHHH, IT IS AMAZING.

      Delete
    3. You're welcome! I'm glad it was helpful. :)
      ARGH, YAS. SO GOOD!

      Delete
  4. YES YOU READ THE BALL AND THE CROSS. That is my FAVORITE of Chesterton's novels that I've read. (I really like Manalive, too, but TBatC is just so much fun it tops even that one.) Aren't Turnbull and McIan great fun? AND ST. THOMAS AQUINAS. Yesssss I must needs reread that one. I just revisited its companion, St. Francis of Assisi, so it would be the perfect time! "More about what was inside" <<< yes exactly, you summed it up so well. And Orthodoxy of course. CHESTERTON IS JUST SO GREAT.

    The Scarlet and the Black is hereby on my TBR. And I should really read The Incorruptibles front-to-cover instead of sampling a story here and there.

    And Antigone! and the Odyssey! and the Divine Comedy! and the Aeneid! and ROLAND! all some of my favorite books from my wonderful high school literature class!

    To Kill a Mockingbird--I know, right? Why was I not made to understand that this book was SO ENJOYABLE and SO BEAUTIFUL?

    The Scarlet Pimpernel is a fun one.

    And Moon Over Manifeeeeesssst. I'm so glad you loved it. I really need to revisit that one at some point.

    And haha--your copy of The Eagle of the Ninth is the same one my sister came across in the bookstore the other day. She was SO mad about the retitle and the cover being slapped on from the movie, haha. X) But man that's a great book. Really ought to read that one again, too.

    This post made me so happy, Sam. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES AND IT WAS AMAZING! (I believe I read Manalive for literature, but I was in...seventh grade? So I need to reread it. Because I remember absolutely zilch). Turnbull and McIan are the absolute BEST! YAS ST. THOMAS! Chesterton is the besterton, as my family likes to say. :)

      I think you will love it! And really, Incorruptibles works both ways. :)

      They're all SO GOOD!

      Seriously, we need people to slam these facts into our stubborn heads. X)

      It really is!

      SO GOOD!

      Haha--it was the only copy our library had, and I was irritated about that, too...but the inside is the same, even if the cover and title have been grievously messed with.

      I'm so glad! It should, since you recommended probably 10% of the books on the list. :D



      Delete
  5. I love lists like these, gives me more books to add to my tbr list, plus loved hearing your thoughts on them.
    Hope you have a great 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! They're fun to write, too.
      Thank you! I hope you have an excellent 2021 as well.

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed Of Literature and Lattes, though not quite as much as Printed Letter Bookshop. Reay is still an auto-buy author for me, though.

    I didn't realize The Scarlet and the Black was a book! I have loved the TV movie version (starring Gregory Peck as O'Flaherty and Christoper Plummer as his Nazi nemesis) for decades and highly recommend it.

    I have never quite gotten around to reading The Scarlet Pimpernel, but I have a copy on my TBR shelves now, so maybe this year!

    A Grief Observed was so terribly, achingly sad... and yet, I couldn't put it down. Amazing journey.

    Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien is on my want-to-read list!

    I adore Northanger Abbey too :-) Just so much spunky, sweet fun!

    I really need to reread To Kill a Mockingbird. Been decades.

    Ray Bradbury is my favorite sci-fi author, and yes, Martian Chronicles is quirkily awesome.

    Some day, I will reread The Silmarillion. I hear I'll understand it more the second time through...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely wasn't as good as Printed Letter, but she's an auto-buy (or auto-read, since I usually get her stuff from the library) author for me as well.

      I'll definitely have to check out the movie!

      I think you'll really enjoy it. :)

      I know, a book about grief shouldn't be so gripping...but it is.

      I think you'll enjoy those, too!

      I know, the spunk and the satire make it amazing!

      Yay, another Bradbury fan! I think my favorite sci-fi author is Orson Scott Card, but Bradbury is definitely a close second.

      I haven't reread it either, so I can't say for sure, but I definitely have a feeling that I will understand it more the second time through. :)

      Delete
  7. Some of the books you mentioned were new reads for me too this year!
    Northhanger Abbey was one and I loved that it was so satirical of the gothic genre at the time. It made me laugh.

    I read the Lord of the Rings finally this year. I loved it! I've meant to read the Silmarillion but haven't got to it yet.

    The Scarlet Pimpernel and To Kill A Mockingbird are so good!
    Anyways, loved hearing your thoughts on the different books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I love it when that happens. :)
      I know, the weird mix-y-ness and the satire were amazing! I don't usually laugh at Jane Austen, but I definitely laughed at that one, too.

      YAY ANOTHER LOTR CONVERT! I'm so glad you loved it! I hope you enjoy The Silmarillion--it's a bit of a niche book.

      They are!
      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  8. Note: I did not skim the post, so my comment may need skimming. :P (And must, it seems, be split into two parts.)

    Also, wow, I want to read so many of these now. I've been meaning to read The Kiss of Deception (and subsequent) for forEVER. But also I was afraid it would just be boring and typical and so I haven't yet? My fears are now (mostly) put to rest.

    Ahhhh, the Treasure Island references in the Ashtown books are the BEST. And after the first book there is so much more world mythology and stuff. It's fabulous. Also, I thiiink stuff gets more clear? Kind of. I don't know. I don't ever think N. D. Wilson is confusing (or weird), but apparently a lot of people find him so. I feel like he doesn't hold the reader's hand AT ALL, which I love, and also I think my brain just jives with his writing. But I do think more stuff gets explained in later books (but also more complications arise? so I don't know! lol).

    Wait, it was your first time reading The Eagle of the Ninth?? That's...awesome. I wish I could have my first read of that book back. But also it's a book that gets better with every reread, so I guess it's all good. Is not Marcus PRECIOUS, though?

    I'm so glad you enjoyed Above Suspicion!! And...yes. We talked about the contemporary political views already, but yeah I think that's very cool. (Alsooo Assignment in Brittany is totally my favorite MacInnes book and you should read that one toooo if you're ever in the mood for more spy twistyness. It's a little less twisty, actually.)

    Also, it was your first time reading Scarlet Pimpernel?????!!? (Pardon me. These books were my childhood, and people reading them for the first time is like, o_O, and also !!!! Like, it's great. Everyone needs to love them. [Although I'd put Eagle of the Ninth above Scarlet Pimpernel. But whateverrr :P]) It's so hard to stop reading it once you start! And the SNUFFBOX SCENE is my FAVORITE SCENE IN THE HISTORY OF LITERATURE. (well maybe not quite that, but I love it so much xD)

    I want to read A Grief Observed sometime. I got it at the thrift store but haven't read it yet. My friend read it when he'd just lost his grandma not long ago and basically couldn't speak highly enough of it, but....even though I can tell it'd be an amazing book to read when you're grieving, I can't make myself read it knowing how hard it would also be. So...one of these days. I do really want to read it.

    EEEeee The Song of Roland!!!!! Also my childhood!!!!! I love Oliver and Roland so much. So so much. I'm glad you loved it. (And Megan exerts an outsized influence on my reading choices too, lol. It's what happens when you recommend good books!!) Who narrates the audiobook? It's totally the kind of thing that would be epic to listen to.

    Moon Over Manifest (yes. so beautiful.), The Aeneid (can't wait to actually finish that; I loved what I did read of it. And you gotta love Aeneas. He's so much fun in the Iliad too, I thought.)

    You expect classics to be boring? That's funny. Do you know why? (I have the opposite problem. I always expect classics to be AMAZING, and then when they're not good, or just okay, I'm sorely disappointed. Your problem is a better one to have, technically.) Also, my library doesn't have the Divine Comedy at all, so yours is doing better than mine at least! (I'm quite annoyed because I've been wanting to read it...practically ever since I first started reading Megan's blog. XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part two (I'm sooo sorry for how long this is xD):

      I should reread The Pickwick Papers. I wasn't into it when I was ten. But it was probably hilarious, because Dickens is, indeed, hilarious.

      Ooh, Don Quixote was good? I've always avoided that one, because I thought I would hate it. Maybe I should give it a try.

      Northanger Abbey!!! Ahh, I love to see it getting appreciated. It's definitely my second favorite. Maybe. Probably. I also love Sense and Sensibility but I do think Northanger Abbey beats it. Because the satire! Jane Austen is always funny, but she outdoes herself there. And Henry Tilney!! The best Austen hero!!! And Catherine, who is lovely herself. Yes. it's such a very good book and I so need to reread. <3

      The Silmarillion! Yes!! I just finished my LOTR reread, so I can finally go reread Silmarillion because oh my GOSH it's so beautiful. Fingolfin's duel with Morgoth, and Beren and Luthien, and Maedhros in general??? <333 (Also, have you read The Children of Hurin? I like having a longer version of Turin's story.)

      Orthodoxy is an incredible book. I keep saying that, but like. It is. It kept me sane my second semester of college. And I KNOW, ISN'T CHRISTIANITY COOL? I LOVE how Chesterton brings out how COOL it is. haha.

      Yeah I need to read Antigone. and Greek drama in general. But especially Antigone.

      Ooh, The Martian Chronicles is on your Best list? That's very interesting. And I see it, although it's a little weird for me. But also really cool. And I will never, never be able to read Sara Teasdale's "There Will Come Soft Rains" without feeling a terrible chill, because of that story. Wow. Oh, and the one where the astronauts-to-Mars meet their family members?? CHILLS.

      UGH I wish the library would open up again already so I can read the Farseer books! I've been longing to ever since your review. And I can't express how nice it is when actions actually have consequences in fantasy! That was one thing I liked about the Shades of Magic series (which I didn't like overall): characters made stupid decisions in tense moments, and okay, we got out of that problem, but now there are the CONSEQUENCES to deal with. Forever. It was so refreshing.

      *weeps because she STILL can't find The Ball and the Cross at any bookstores* You and Megan are cruel, raving about it. I JUST WANT TO READ IT AND I CAN'T.

      Delete
    2. This comment made my day! Thank you so much! Articulate and inarticulate fangirling is my favorite. :)

      I’m glad I could put your fears to rest on that one! It was definitely not just boring. (I mean, there were a few parts that dragged a bit, but overall—not boring.)

      I KNOW, they are! I will definitely have to finish the series! (Once I’m done with Les Mis, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and The Brothers Karamazov…XD). I do think in some ways, N. D. Wilson can be more confusing/esoteric than other MG (*cough* Outlaws of Time *cough*), but I do like that about him! It’s just a different reading experience.

      Yes, it was my first time through Eagle! I know, there are so many books where I would like to get my first read-though back. :) But I do think it’ll be a good reread! Marcus is the BEST and I just want to HUG him.

      (Ooh, I’ll definitely have to read that one!)

      Yep, also my first time reading Scarlet Pimpernel!! No need to ask for pardon for enthusiasm! (I’m not sure if I’d put Eagle of the Ninth first…they’re just different…). And AGH THE SNUFFBOX SCENE IS THE BEST!

      You should definitely read Grief Observed! I think it’s probably a good idea to read it first when you’re not grieving so that a) you can weather Lewis’s grief for the first time without it compounding your own (because indeed, it can get a bit overwhelming) and b) you’re prepared when you experience grief. But that’s just my two cents.

      Oliver and Roland are the BEST! (Oh good, glad I’m not the only one. XD) It’s narrated by D. D. R. Owens, who I had never heard of, but who does a really good job.

      I know, I love Aeneas! He’s a big part of why I love Aenead more than the other ones.

      I mean, I guess my problem is the better one to have? But I mean, it means that it’s harder to make me read classics that I will love, so…it drives my literature teacher crazy. (It took her YEARS to make me read Lewis’s Space Trilogy. XD) I think actually having Megan as a blogger friend is doing a lot to counteract the problem, since I trust her opinions, and she’s making me read a lot of classics. XD Oof, I’m sorry about your library not having Divine Comedy! Cuz yeah, it’s amazing. (Sorry, I’m just making this worse!)

      I’m sure you’d appreciate Pickwick more as a grown up than at ten. XD

      I enjoyed DQ! (I mean, besides the fact that it was ludicrously long. Y’know.) The second half was definitely better than the first.

      Northanger definitely beats Sense and Sensibility! The satire is just fantastic. (I’m going to have to disagree with you about Henry Tilney, though—as much as I love him, I’d definitely have to rank Mr. Knightly and Mr. Darcy above him. XD)

      Oh, I should do a LOTR/Silmarillion reread this year! (Cuz I don’t have enough long books to read this year already. XD YES Fingolfin and Beren and Luthien and…everything. <333 (I haven’t read the Children of Hurin…I was under the impression that it’s just a book version of the story in Silmarillion? But if not, I’ll definitely have to.)

      I know! There’s just not WORDS for how incredible it is. YES CHESTERTON THE CHRISTIANITY FANBOY. XD

      You do need to read Antigone! For sure!

      Due to the father I have, I am a fan of somewhat esoteric sci-fi. XD And Martian Chronicles definitely is that. But the writing skill is really where it shines, imo. SO MUCH CHILLS.

      Our library is doing curbside hold pickup, which is the only reason I’ve been able to read a lot of the books on this list. I hope yours opens up soon! And I’m glad I made you want to read them. :) I KNOW because actions have consequences in real life, so why doesn’t this happen more in fantasy??? But when there are, I know, it’s ridiculously refreshing!

      I’m SORRYYYYY! (But if you have a kindle/way to read ebooks, it’s available for free on Amazon…) WHEN YOU GET TO READ IT YOU WILL LOVE IT!

      Delete
  9. Awww, fun to see Echo getting some love :) thank you for your kind words.

    If you liked Spindle, you should definitely read Masque. I liked it MUCH better than Spindle (and I liked Spindle fine, I just... didn't like it as much as everyone else seems to... *hides* I just felt like it was TOO Howl's Moving Castle and not enough it's own thing... is that horrible of me?)

    Some great classics on here. I've read some of them (Silmarillion, obvs, but also The Scarlet Pimpernel and To Kill a Mockingbird). I don't read many classics for fun (since for the most part, it's not, LOL) these days, but I would love to give Silmarillion and The Scarlet Pimpernel a re-read in the near future.

    I need to get my hands on that Ender short story! I haven't quite finished the entire series, and that is a very sad thing that needs to be remedied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! :)

      Okay, I'll definitely give it a try! (Okay, I can see how that might be off-putting! I personally didn't feel like it was too HMC, but I can understand how you did.)

      I'm going to need to reread Silmarillion and Scarlet Pimpernel, too. :) I don't tend to reread classics, but those ones will definitely get revisited.

      It's so good! I hope you enjoy it, and the last of the series!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!