October Wrap-Up


My favorite month is over. *sad face* And I don't even feel like I got to enjoy it. *sadder face* Okay, that's not totally true--I did do fun things, but there was a lot less walks-in-the-leaves, drinking-cocoa, pumpkin-carving, costume-wearing, feast-day-celebrating awesomeness than I expected. And a lot more panicking-over-school than I expected, coincidentally. :)

Blog

My Posts:
Good, Better, Best: Fall Books
Review: "Frogkisser!" by Garth Nix
Jem Jones Linkup: Quirk #5
Review: "The Return of the Thief" by Megan Whalen Turner
In Defense of Harry Potter
Review: "The Crush" by Allyson Kennedy
Tag: My Favorite Things (2x)
Review: "The Morning Gift" by Eva Ibbotson

Around the Blogosphere:
MK wrote about what she was doing to procrastinate studying, and it's hilarious (and relatable).
Christine Smith started the Know the Novel linkup, which I'm not participating in, but is really fun to follow.
Sarah Rodecker wrote about whether you should do NaNo, and it was SUCH a good post.
Megan Chappie introduced her new project, and it sounds amazing!
MC did a monster Sunshine Blogger Award post, which was a lot of fun to read.


Books

By popular command demand, the book list is still here! But I'll also be talking about what movies I watched this month. I did read fewer books this month, you may notice. (Life is swallowing me whole).

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
Ben-Hur by Lew Wallace
*Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling
*The Crush by Allyson Kennedy (eARC)
*Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling
The Return of the Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
*Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling
*Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling
*Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling
*Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling
*Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling
All-Of-A-Kind Family Uptown by Sidney Taylor
No Plot? No Problem! by Chris Baty
Lock and Key: The Initiation by Ridley Pearson
Lock and Key: The Downward Spiral by Ridley Pearson
Lock and Key: The Final Step by Ridley Pearson
*Caddy's World by Hilary McKay
*The Morning Gift by Eva Ibbotson
*Just Kidding by Deborah Niemann
*Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather
*The Penderwicks in Spring by Jeanne Birdsall
Don't Die, My Love by Lurlene McDaniels
The Aeneid by Virgil
*The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt
*Adventures in Yarn Farming by Barbara Parry
*Saffy's Angel by Hilary McKay
*Permanent Rose by Hilary McKay
*Forever Rose by Hilary McKay
A Company of Swans by Eva Ibbotson
Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen
Scored by Lauren McLaughlin
The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen
Hope in the Mail by Wendelin Van Draanen
Wild Bird by Wendelin Van Draanen
The Secret Life of Lincoln Jones by Wendelin Van Draanen
*Indigo's Star by Hilary McKay
*Caddy Ever After by Hilary McKay

The Wendelin Van Draanen binge was entirely MC's fault...thank you so much, MC. :)


Movies

Quick note: I'm still learning what I want to say about the movies...so there may be a couple of very minor spoilers for the two HP movies we watched this month. I can't help myself :)

My family doesn't watch a lot of movies, and I ended up skipping out on a couple of family movies to do other things (like volunteer for Mass)...so four movies this month! But they were good ones.

Animated GIF

*Zootopia
I love this movie! We rewatched it as a family the first week of October, and it was a hoot. I forgot how funny it is the whole time! "I may be a dumb bunny, but we are good at multiplying".


Animated GIF

The Big Sleep (1946)
This was my fourth or fifth Humphrey Bogart movie, but the first one with Lauren Bacall in it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Film Noir is something I really have to be "in the mood" for, because it's so twist-y and confusing and generally in black-and-white, but Fall always puts me in the mood for it, and this one was a lot of fun. 


Animated GIF

*Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
I'm rewatching the HP movies with Legolas, and I keep forgetting that she doesn't know how much they cut...so our watching sessions always end with me happy and nostalgic, and her up in arms about how they massacred the plot. Granted, HBP doesn't really have a plot. But there are a lot of really good scenes in the movie! I especially love the Harry-Hermione platonic sweetness. And also, I don't know why everyone thinks Bonnie Wright can't act...because she absolutely can. 


Animated GIF

*Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
This was another Legolas-is-outraged-I'm-nostalgic movie. I forgot how much I actually loved Part 1? Because Part 2 is my second favorite of all the movies, but Part 1 has soooooo many of my favorite parts from Book 7! Like Bill & Fleur's wedding, and Harry and Hermione dancing (hello more platonic sweetness! Their relationship actually reminds me somewhat of me and (my cousin) Pippin), and Ron coming back, and the scene in Malfoy Manor (look, it's character building, ok?). The movie does end rather abruptly...so I'm definitely looking forward to watching Part 2! But I really enjoyed watching this one, all on its own.


Life


I got my black belt! This is the culmination of six years of work, and five months of intensive preparation, as well as an hour-and-a-half long test that left me sore for a week! But I'm now a black belt in Shudo-kan Karate-do! Woot! Of course, as soon as the test was over, I injured myself in two different ways...but I'm feeling better now.


My sweet, sweet confirmation sponsor Frodo, and my sweet, sweet friend Eowyn surprised me with roses for the feast of St. Therese! (one of my confirmation saints). Coincidentally, I had been praying the novena for (among other things) good preparation for marriage for the both of them (they're both engaged, and yes, both a lot older than me), so hopefully this means that that one was answered. :)

We bred Cassie the goat! This is a picture of her from two years ago when she was pregnant with triplets (ft. my arm). (Yes, triplets is normal in Nigerian Dwarf goats--we've had a goat have quadruplets, and some of our friends have had a goat have sextuplets!) Legolas and I drove her two hours up northeast to the farm of the buck owners, they did their thing, and then we drove two hours back. Yes, we sang Hamilton a lot of the way, and choir songs the rest of the way. So hopefully, Cassie will get pregnant and grace us with some adorable kids in about five months. We'll see! 


I got into Colorado State! They do a rolling admissions notification thing, so I won't hear from any of the other colleges I applied to until February-March, but it's reassuring to know that at least ONE college wants this homeschooler! (And no, I don't know if I'm going there. It depends on a variety of factors).

We've gone up to Rivendell a bunch of times this month! It's been mostly maintenance but also fun--the fall colors are just gorgeous. We've mowed the meadow, and planted a metric ton of garlic, and mostly tucked the garden in. You can't see in this picture, but the river has been running really high lately, which is fun to see, but a little nerve-wracking! 


School. It's eating me alive. This is my bullet journal spread from a lighter week. Yes, really. Plant Bio is a huge amount of fun--my teacher is fantastic. Art is...art. I'm not the best at it, but it's going okay. Maybe someday I'll even put up something I drew! But today is not that day. Project Management is...remarkably self-directed. Lots of work. We'll leave it at that. My homeschool classes are...fun. Cool. More work. :) 

November Plans

  • Continue getting good grades in Running Start
  • Breed Dora the goat
  • Submit my last college application, and my scholarship apps (grrrrrrrrrrr....more essays)
  • Celebrate Thanksgiving with my family
  • See Pippin! He's coming back from college! We're planning to marathon LOTR over winter break! All the excitement.
  • Start Advent!!!!!! (I am inordinately excited for Advent this year...and I don't know why)
  • Celebrate Frodo's birthday (My Frodo, not LOTR Frodo...his was last month. :D)
  • Reread The Scorpio Races because...November.
  • Go into quarantine for a couple of weeks, because...my grandparents are going to come visit! I'm excited to see them...less excited to quarantine for two weeks. *grumpy face*

How's school/work been for y'all? Has anyone ever sent you flowers for a feast day? Did you have a Autumnal October? And as always, if you want to hear my opinions on any of the books I read...ask away. :)

Comments

  1. October actually went by so slowly for me. I feel like October 1st was a lifetime ago, lol.
    Oooh, I love how you read so many books in a month. I started a Harry Potter reread, but so far I'm only partway through the third one.
    You got your black belt! That's so cool. I was doing martial arts until COVID, but then the place I was going to shut down, so now I have to find a new place to take lessons.
    You got into Colorado State. That's exciting.
    Aww, Cassie is SO CUTE. I love her colors. Hopefully she will have kids (baby goats are the cuuuuuutest). I'm kind of partial to Nigerian Dwarf goats, even though I love all of them. My family has one (her name is Napoleon, due to being tiny but aggressive).
    I hope you have a good November.....even with all the essay writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have definitely been a lot of months this year that were like that for me! But this was not one of them, haha.
      I am apparently an extremely speedy reader! I hope you're enjoying you HP reread!
      It was pretty cool. :) I hope you are able to continue doing martial arts! It's a really awesome skill to have.
      Thank you! We think she's really cute, too! Baby goats are 100% the cutest, and especially Nigerians! Ooh, I didn't realize you had one. Napoleon is a good name--those little goats are just balls of fire in a tiny package. :)
      Thanks! I hope you have a good November, too!

      Delete
  2. That is quite a lot of books! I need to step up my game XD
    Congrats on getting your black belt and college. Both of those are really impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes. And don't worry about stepping up your game--you probably have other priorities! (Whereas I...kind of don't?)
      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the shout outs! Eeep!! It makes me so happy to hear that you liked Wendelyn Van Draanen's books! I've only read Flipped and some from the Sammy Keyes series, but I can't even tell you how much I want to read The Running Dream. Oh, and what did you think of The Martian Chronicles? My mom loves it and has been trying to get me to read it, but I've had some weird experiences with Ray Bradbury's works (expect Fahrenheit 451, that was good).

    I probably should've been doing more important things when I decided instead to watch movies. It's kind of crazy how many my sister and I watched. Now it's bad because I want to write a million reviews but should be working on NaNoWriMo. Ah, Zootopia! That's a good one. I really want to see The Big Sleep because I love the Humphrey Bogart movies that I've seen. When I'm watching the HP movies I'm exactly like Legolas. XD I complain the entire time about how it's all wrong. (except for the first three movies, I love those ones!) Though, I do want to rewatch #6 because since I saw it last I've visited one of the filming locations...

    Woohoo! Congrats on your black belt! That is fantastic!! Hip hip, hoorah! And same goes for getting accepted at a college! Good luck with all of the other things you need to do!

    I'm sorry that you aren't happy about quarantining, but at least you have more time for reading, right? ;) Have an awesome November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Aaaah The Running Dream was SO GOOD, and it kind of counted as research for something I'm working on, which was definitely a bonus. The message and writing in that one were AMAZING. I honestly thought about reviewing it instead of Flipped on Monday, but then I would also have to review Wild Bird, Lincoln Jones...etc. Which I might still do.
      I really enjoyed The Martian Chronicles--it builds up a picture of the history of a planet through a bunch of shorter chapter-things (almost short stories). There were some parts that were a little creepy, but Bradbury did a wonderful job of emphasizing the total otherness of another planet.

      Aaaah, the pain is real! So many movies to watch and review, so little time.
      I would definitely recommend The Big Sleep!
      The first three movies definitely stick closest to the HP plot--and the third one is probably the best of all the movies. Ooh, which filming location did you go to?

      Thank you so much!

      It's true, lots of time for reading and writing and reviewing! (And probably quilting--I'm very behind on my quilt). I hope you have a wonderful November as well!

      Delete
  4. I love how funny Zootopia is, and how it doesn't fall into that trap of funny all first half, sappy all second half. Funny movies need to be funny all the way through, I'm just saying.

    THE BIG SLEEP!!! IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES!!!! OF ALL TIME!!! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think Lauren Bacall is such a good actress - she's so convincing here, but she's also so convincing as the sweet sheltered wife in Key Largo. She's great. Also, rewatching The Big Sleep is like rereading Queen's Thief books; I always pick up on something that I missed the previous go-around. (Yet the plot still made sense to me the first time through.) I'm just so impressed at authors and film-makers who can write stories like that.

    You have no idea how jealous I am that you get to take a Plant Bio class. I love botany so much. Is it kind of an overview type of class, or do you focus in on certain areas of the plant kingdom?

    Congratulations, both on your admission and your black belt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It does such a good job keeping the humor all the way through...and you're totally right, funny movies do need to stay funny!

      It was really good! Lauren Bacall must be a good actress if she can be a sweet sheltered wife! I should really watch Key Largo! Ooh, I shall probably have to rewatch The Big Sleep, too! (I mean, if you compare it to The Queen's Thief, I'm definitely going to rewatch it. XD) I know, I could never write something like that, but I am in AWE of those who an.

      It's kind of starting as an overview (things related to plants (fungi, algae), then plant phyla (I think it's phyla?) (bryophytes, pterophytes, gymnosperms, and angiosperms), but I think for the rest of the quarter we'll be going more in depth. It's a great class, and I am learning SO MUCH! (Like, did you know that there's alternation of generations in angiosperms? I had no idea!). Community college for the win. :)

      Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!